Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Kalua Pork in Slow Cooker - Hawaii


 
Aloha! Happy Prince Kuhio Day!
 
In Hawaii, Prince Kuhio Day is a day to relax, breathe in da Aloha air, and feast on some delicious Hawaiian bbq. One thing I miss the most in Hawaii would be all the tasty, juicy, Hawaiian bbq. Even though I miss da Hawaiian food, I'll never say goodbye because I'll always cook it in my own cozy kitchen (and teach my cute little man Maikah how to cook it). 
Number 1 rule: never visit Hawaii without experiencing a luau including Kalua Pork and all the other delicious Island food.
 

Kalua Pork never gets old in my home. It definitely qualifies as a simple and extremely tasty dish my hubby and I can eat over and over. If it's just us two eating, I'll cook a 3 pound pork and we'll still be able to enjoy leftovers for the next couple of days. Just cook some rice to serve it with and maybe even some mac salad. Not only will you enjoy the Kalua Pork for dinner but you will enjoy the fabulous smell all day long as it cooks. This dish is amazingly simple, mouthwatering, beautiful, and filled with the Aloha spirit.
 
The recipe was found on allrecipes.com with modifications including: cabbage, serving size, and less salt. Kalua Pork is a must try recipe that will not leave you with one bit of disappointment!
 
A small piece of oahu's beauty...
Serving size: 6
Ingredients:
 
1 (3 pound) pork butt or shoulder roast
1/2 tablespoon of liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt
1/2 head of cabbage
 
Directions:
 
Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
 
Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 14 hours, turning once during cooking time (if desired).
 
Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisten.
 
Add cooked cabbage to the pork.
 
 
 



2 comments:

  1. Alex has been hinting that I need to start using the crockpot again...this would do it! Where do you get smoke flavoring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you guys will like this! I just got it at winco and I think it was close to the bbq sauce.

    ReplyDelete